Howie and Steph are near and dear to our heart. We first met them 25 years ago when our Director of Operations was managing the Union Square Greenmarket in NYC. Greenmarket’s mission is two-fold: 1) promoting regional agriculture by providing small family farms the opportunity to market their locally grown products directly to consumers, and 2) to give all New Yorkers access to the freshest, most nutritious locally grown food the region has to offer.
With their superior products, Deep Mountain Maple quickly stood out from the crowd at Greenmarket. They forged long-lasting relationships with both local residents and the best chefs in NYC, who feature Deep Mountain’s syrups on their award winning menus. Their experience at Greenmarket has been so successful that nearly all of their products are committed to the New York City market. The only Vermont vendor is the Lake Parker Country Store in West Glover. Fine food establishments in Vermont also partner with Howie and Steph, most notably the Parker Pie Co. which uses the syrup in its pizza crust!
- Over 25 years of producing syrup in Vermont’s beautiful Northeast Kingdom, 25 miles south of the Canadian border.
- Vertically Integrated: All maple syrup is bottled on the farm in their own canning facility. All of their maple candies and other maple products are made there as well
- All syrup is made without pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers of any kind.
- Wood-fired: While many maple producers have moved to the use of oil-fired sugaring operations in order to eliminate the need to cut firewood and to make boiling faster and easier, Howie and Steph remain firmly committed to a responsible, sustainable cycle of maple syrup production. The wood used is either sustainably harvested from their sugarbush as part of the “thinning” process or waste wood sourced from a local sawmill.
- “One-tap” policy: only a select few of their oldest and largest trees receive more than one tap in a given season.
- Both Howie and Steph have worked with the Bread and Puppet Theater since the late 70’s. It remains one of the oldest, non-profit, self-supporting theatrical companies in the nation. Steph still serves on the board. Howie continues to play out in musical venues in both Vermont and Puerto Rico.
- Howie and Steph founded the Monte Verde Cultural Exchange in the early 90’s, a non-profit dedicated to fostering exchange in the arts between Latin America and Northern New England. Through Monte Verde, they organized projects to rebuild Puerto Rican communities after the devastation of Hurricane Maria.
- Deep Mountain Maple sugar candy will rock your world! Available in original and infused varieties. Our favorites are the ginger and coconut.
For more information about Deep Mountain Maple Farm and the sugaring season in general, please visit their website: http://deepmountainmaple.com/maple-facts-and-fictions
CVD/SVW uses Deep Mountain Maple’s Grade B as the primary sweetener in our Dark Chocolate Brownie, and their Vermont Fancy is the flavor behind our Maple Lozenges. We are also proud to feature their syrup in our Running of the Sap special, Maple Walnut Fudge (available April 11th-30th).