Employment: Propagation Specialist
This full-time position includes health, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, ten days of PTO, six paid holidays per year.
COMPASSION + VITALITY + DIRECTION
These are the values which define our non-profit mission at Champlain Valley Dispensary. We are seeking individuals with these core values to assist with the production side of Burlington’s only medical cannabis dispensary.
Champlain Valley Dispensary (CVD) is seeking a full-time Propagation Specialist.
This is a hands-on role where the job holder manages CVD medical cannabis propagation program, propagation room and/or team, monitoring and controlling plant growth and nutrition, and managing and operating high-intensity plant production equipment.
The ideal candidate is someone who wants to contribute to the success of a company who is an industry leader and known for setting the the bar high! We’re looking for someone who will excel as a team member in a fast-paced, non-stop environment, within a tightly controlled, state regulated system.
Summary of duties:
- Develop and maintain propagation protocols and nutrient regiment for all crops.
- Inspects growing area to ascertain temperature and humidity conditions, and regulates systems of heaters, fans, and sprayers to ensure conformance with specifications.
- Successfully execute preventative maintenance and elimination of types of mold, powdery mildew, spider mites, root aphids, etc.
- Maintain knowledge on different propagation techniques and provide insight to expand the company’s knowledge of such techniques that result in continual gains in plant yield. Work closely with the R&D and Operations Teams to improve all aspects of plant growth.
- Log activities, maintain propagation records, and compile periodic reports, including monitoring, data collection, experimental testing, cross-departmental projects, as well as basic laboratory tasks.
- Attend and contribute to the weekly Department meetings.
- Maintain cleanliness and functionality of grow rooms and equipment according to CVD Sanitation Policies and Cultivation Department SOPs.
- Plan, organize, and oversee plant breeding trails; make evaluations and selections.
- Ensure that all procedures are consistent with Vermont State Medical Marijuana Program Guidelines.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture, Horticulture, or related field.
- A minimum of two years of commercial grow and plant propagation experience in medium to large-scale commercial plant cultivation.
- Hands-on experience in initiating and maintaining plant cells cultures, and familiarity with different plant transformation technologies.
- Knowledge of growing techniques, including germination, cloning, transplantation, plant pests and other perils, harvesting.
- Knowledge of aseptic techniques, plant tissue culture methods and practices for cannabis and non-cannabis plants, as well as general understanding and application of scientific principles, theories and concepts in the field of plant tissue culture and transformation.
- Knowledge of genetics and plant breeding methods.
- Strong working knowledge in container systems with soil and hydro as well as understanding temperature and humidity manipulation.
- Knowledge of plant diseases, insects and fungi, as well as plant treatment options and integrated pest management.
- Knowledge of growing technologies, such as lights, irrigation, fertilizer, and more.
- Knowledge of different strains and their unique growing demands.
- Ability to execute techniques consistently.
- Good documentation, inventory, and organization skills.
- Ability to keep to a tight schedule.
- Ability to innovate.
- Must have strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be highly motivated and have a strong work ethic.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lb.
- Ability to follow guidelines set forth by the Vermont State Medical Marijuana Program.
- Proficiency in Macintosh software, Microsoft Office, and the ability to learn new software systems that are specific to the industry.
- Must successfully complete a criminal record check with the Vermont Crime Information Center.
- Experience working in a state-regulated Cannabis program.